time and date

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jan 16 09:58:31 UTC 2013

On 15/01/13 22:07, JD wrote:
> Ubuntio 2.10 with latest updates.
> The System -> Administration
>
> menu
>
> does not contain timeand date.
>
> To add insult to injury, the DVD media from which it is installed
> did not install the ntp package. I had to install it manually.
>
> Even after I installed the ntp package, there is still no menu
> entry for time and dateadministration.

In the latest standard Ubuntu, Time and Date settings are found in the
System Settings application which you can reach via the little gear like
symbol that appears in the the top right corner of the screen. It's
probably in one of your menus as well.

Under Time and Date settings if you select the option to synchronise
time with the internet, then it installs and configures ntp for you at
that time. If you don't want to synchronise time from the internet, then
ntp is really not needed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 705 344 3082
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk