Can one have a static IP wired network connection with failover to wireless?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sun Jan 13 11:17:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-01-13 at 09:29 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 12 January 2013 22:56, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >> Is this possible with a static IP?
> >
> > Yes. I do this on all of my laptops when at home. If I unplug the hard
> > wire, wifi picks up and connects to the default AP.
>
> Is that using Network Manager?  I find that if I enable wireless and

Colin and Chris,

We used to have a guy like that at one of the places I worked. If you
accidentally asked him a closed question, even though it was obvious
that what you wanted was a how-to, you'd simply get "Yes" or "No" then
he'd walk off with a smirk on his face.

We nick-named him "Data"!

I suppose the real lesson here is to learn to ask open questions rather
closed questions on this list.

Chris,

Try starting again, with a new thread, asking an open question rather
than a closed one. Putting "How " at the start of the subject line
instead of "Can ....." would stand a better chance of getting the
information you are looking for.

"Do you understand?" is a closed question.

"How do you ask for specific information?" is an open question.

Dave