Ubuntu on UEFI and Win 8

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Jan 7 20:57:42 UTC 2013

On 01/07/2013 03:46 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> Is there a definitive guide to dual booting Ubuntu with Win 8 with (or
>> without?) UEFI BIOS?
>
> Not yet. Dual-booting on UEFI is a pretty well solved problem, but
> doing so with secure-boot enabled (as is apparently required by
> Windows 8) is a recently-solved problem[0], and hasn't yet been
> integrated into the Ubuntu installer or really formed into a general
> solution.

Secure boot is required for Windows 8 Certification.  It is not required
for Windows 8 to boot, and it should be possible to turn off in BIOS.  I
say should because, like several other things about EFI booting,
releases in the wild are buggy as hell.  A recent Acer notebook I had to
deal with did not allow disabling of Secure boot unless you also
disabled EFI boot entirely (meaning you can switch between Secure Boot
EFI or Legacy BIOS boot, but making the switch meant Windows 8 would not
be able to boot as installed.)

Due the large number of buggy implementations out there, I would
consider dual-booting with EFI to be well-solved in theory only.