Non-PAE kernel in 12.10

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 26 06:05:35 UTC 2013

On 26/02/13 09:09, Ric Moore wrote:

[prune]

> I have an R-32 that I have beat the Dickens out of, to get something
> to install. So, I put 10.4 on it, ignored the non-existent updates and
> did several dist-upgrades in succession. So, it's now running 12.04.
> It absolutely refused to install directly with 12.04 and I have XFCE
> running. Still slow though. So, do you recommend installing
> Windowmaker first, then removing everything else? Hopefully it won't
> go boom as the install took forever brutishly installing/upgrading as
> I did. Thanks for any pointers.
>
> It IS a shame that older functional iron gets left in the dirt. It
> seems like any gains I make in improving hardware becomes diminished
> by software demands. IMHO! it would be better to have "slim and mean"
> installed first, and if you want to pile a bunch of daemons and other
> cpu wasting junk on, thus making your install less responsive, then
> you have only yourself to blame. Having an initial install that looks
> like a pinball machine, full of flashy-thingies and beeps, discourages
> those who the Ubuntu ethic was to be applied to ...the less fortunate
> users with minimal hardware. Ric

Eh, your choice of course - and your self-imposed purgatory. You're
using the wrong distro. OpenSUSE, for example, during installation
recognises which kernel you need[*] and installs it.

Possibly other distros do the same.

[*] Desktop; Default; pae; vanilla (ie, without SUSE patches); xen.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.00 & kernel 3.8.0-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor