squid-deb-proxy problem on Raring, IPv6 I think.

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:31:40 UTC 2013

On 24 February 2013 23:14, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "avahi-browse" incantation returned both the ipv4 and ipv6
> proxies. The one that "deb-squid-proxy" uses returns one or the other
> - and according to the bug reports that I've seen, it returns the ipv6
> one more often.

For me /usr/share/squid-deb-proxy-client/apt-avahi-discover
consistently returns http://[fe80::290:f5ff:fece:342f]:8000/
Debugging into it, it uses avahi-browse and is consistently finding
both the ipv4 and ipv6 addresses, it explicitly then tests the ipv6
one first using

socket.getaddrinfo(ip, port, 0, 0, 0, socket.AI_ADDRCONFIG)

which for the ipv6 address returns

[(10, 1, 6, '', ('fe80::290:f5ff:fece:342f', 8000, 0, 0)), (10, 2, 17,
'', ('fe80::290:f5ff:fece:342f', 8000, 0, 0)), (10, 3, 0, '',
('fe80::290:f5ff:fece:342f', 8000, 0, 0))]

which is taken as a success and that address is returned.  I am way
out of my depth here, but I am learning a lot.

>> If you are not otherwise using IPv6 (i.e., your machines don't have
>> global unicast addresses), then the only fix I can see is to disable
>> IPv6 on the proxy, so that it doesn't HAVE a link local address. That's
>> an ugly solution, suitable only if the proxy is a single-service
>> machine. You can disable IPv6 on a Linux machine thus:
>>
>>    sysctl -w net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6=1
>>
>> And optionally make the equivalent change to /etc/sysctl.conf to make
>> the change permanent.

I already have a workaround by specifying the ipv4 address manually,
so this is really all just out of interest, and is hopefully useful
info to add to the bug report.

Has anyone else tried squid-deb-proxy and client on Raring?

Colin