rdiff-backup is it best openSource continous backup solution?

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Feb 22 23:11:10 UTC 2013

On 21/02/13 00:30, Rajeev Prasad wrote:
> Tyler,
>
> I really appreciate the gentleness of responding to the both questions.
>
> I realized that a complete snapshot of the system (my requirement #6),
> which can be restored in one go (all OS/Apps/data etc.) is best done
> using software like clonezilla (I am looking at clonezilla right now).
>
> the other part of my requirment seem to be met by backuppc. I found the
> software after i sent the original email to this list. (So I opened my
> account on backuppc and will ask future quest on the product there).
>
> I liked rdiff-backup when i saw it first time, but when i saw last
> release was in 2009. I wanted to be sure, if there is devolpment being
> done on it (say for another LTS release if any FS changes comes along
> etc.). So I asked if active devlopment is happenign on it or not.
>
> with kind regards.
> Rajeev
> *From:* Tyler J. Wagner <tyler at tolaris.com>

Rajeev,
I use backuppc for several years to automatically backup 4 workstations
and 1 laptop - which is seldom on the net - and it works without any
problems. The workstations are a mix of Linux variants and Windows.
The only problem is to get your configuration right: that has a steep
learning curve.
I have tried several other backup programs but this comes out as the
easiest.
One advice: do your backup on an external hard disk especially if you
have USB 3.0 than backup is done very fast.
Joep