LO4 in repos?

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Tue Feb 12 16:42:57 UTC 2013

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 12/02/13 01:34, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> >Colin Law wrote:
> >>Does one get Unity integration if LO is installed manually?
> >>
> >If you download the package from LibreOffice you forego all the
> >Ubuntu-specific patches, which includes the Unity integration.
> >
> >You also lose the auto-update unless you use some LO PPA or
> >repository of some sort.
>
> I ask this question with the sole purpose of gaining knowledge.
>
> What exactly do you mean by,"....you forego all the Ubuntu-specific
> patches, which includes the Unity integration."?

Any patches Ubuntu adds downstream of LO; patches that make the Ubuntu
package different to the LO-supplied one. I don't know precisely what
they are but if you get the source package out of the repo you should
be able to see them.

> What would such "Ubuntu-specific patches" be, and what would be
> "Unity integration" ?

Normally they're bugfixes released since the feature-freeze of the
release. Say Ubuntu standardises on version 1.0 of some app for 13.04.
Then version 1.2 of that app comes out with a load of new features and
some bugfixes.

The deal is that Ubuntu releases remain stable in featureset, so they
can't just drop 1.2 in to the repos. They can't even backport 1.2's
features and call it 1.0 because someone might reasonably be reliant
upon the true 1.0's featureset.

What Ubuntu can, and do, do is apply the bugfixes between 1.0 and 1.2
that don't affect functionality and create 1.0-2 - the 2nd build of
1.0.

This makes Ubuntu's 1.0 of that app different from upstream's, and the
Ubuntu-specific patches are those that define that difference,
basically - the bugfixes between 1.0 and 1.2.

There's also sometimes some patches to change the app so it suits the
distro's filesystem layout better, or integrates into it. Particularly
with Ubuntu recently these have been integration into Unity -
intercepting the drawing of the menu bar and having it appear in the
top bar, rather than in the window itself, and I'd imagine similar
work on getting the HUD working, too. Usually convenience dictates that
these are shipped as a separate package (like the Ubuntu Firefox
plugin), but sometimes the only reasonable way of doing it is to
modify the package itself.

I was under the impression that the LO package had these patches for
that in Ubuntu, but as explained elsewhere in this thread those are
upstream now.

--
Avi