LO4 in repos?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 12 06:46:08 UTC 2013

On 12/02/13 06:18, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 02/11/2013 08:13 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what your 'why' was for,
>>
>> Don't understand why you are so unsure why I asked the question.
>>
>> Is there some convoluted way which is used in Ubuntu to install an
>> application like LibreOffice directly available from the LibreOffice
>> site?
>>
>> Or as me ol' mate Ric would say, "One has to wave a chicken foot while
>> hopping around the room on one leg" before one is able to do what is
>> normally a very simple install of the files downloaded from LO?
>>
>> I just wanted Ric to tell me that.
>

> Kinda like my Fedora days ...if you install something from the third
> party repos, and it breaks, you get to keep both pieces. For me, just
> enabling a PPA is a walk on the wild side. So, on the LO site, they
> have a .deb package but it doesn't state explicitly that it is an
> Ubuntu 12.10 .deb file. Or, Debian Squeeze.
>
> There is always room for Jello, but there could be wide disparity
> amongst all the possible variations a .deb file can be applied to. I
> have hit the wrong Red Button before, so I am healthily skittish. Same
> reason I keep cab-fare in my shoe ...I've been screwed over before. :)
> Ric

Quite understandable, mon ami. When you have doubts about the way your
system is able to cope with change - or is able to accept and apply
change - then one tends to become less adventurous, less daring, less,
"HA! And what do I care, eh?!" :-D .

As I stated earlier, I have been doing this for well over 12 months. I
download the 3 rpm files (I use the proppa English - GB), delete the
currently installed LO files, and do "rpm -Uvh *.rpm" in the 3
uncompressed folders, and there I am with the latest LO - alpha, beta,
RC or final - installed and available for use (provided I also altered,
*if* I had to, the launch parameter in the Menu of apps.).

No dependency issue hassles, nothing. But it seems that you do have such
dependency hassles - which is a pity :-( .

So, mon ami, stay with the official releases from Canonical, or the
PPAs, if you "Can't the mustard anymore." 8-) :-D

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.00 & kernel 3.7.6-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor