Lubuntu Software repository

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Fri Feb 8 19:31:24 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 04:50 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:47:37AM -0500, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>     I recently installed Lubuntu 12.04 on an ancient (circa 1998)
>> computer.  Pentium 2 with 384 Megs of RAM.  It seems to run
>> reasonably well (actually better than expected) but there does seem
>> to be few apps that I can use.  There are the apps that come with
>> the installation but a look in the software repository shows only
>> the apps that were pre-installed.  No new apps seem to be available.
>>
>>     I was hoping to install Firefox and particularly Thunderbird
>> because all he uses the computer for is email, light duty web
>> browsing and some word processing.  Is there a version of these
>> softwares that I can use with Lubuntu?
>>
> You can install anything you want from the standard Ubuntu repositories,
> it's just that Lubuntu hasn't installed a GUI program for adding
> software.
>
> However the command line utilities for adding software *will* be there,
> so to install firefox you just use the command line:-
>
>      sudo apt-get install firefox
>
> If you want a GUI app for adding software then the one I know is
> synaptic:-
>
>      sudo apt-get install synaptic

The Lubuntu installation already has the synaptic GUI installed.  I
tried to use that and all that it reported that was in the repository
was the software already installed on the computer.  Maybe the problem
is in setting up the repository location?  Can anybody tell me where to
look for and change (add to) the repositories?  Also there is a menu
item called GDebi Package installer.  Is that another version of synaptic?

By the way, I tried to install firefox using apt-get and it failed
giving the following error message:

E: could not get lock /var/lib/dpg/lock - open (11: Resource
temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory ( /var/lib/dpkg/) is
another program using it?

Maybe the problem to the inability to get a lock ti because the Update
manager was active?  I'll try later after it is definitely done.

--

Bill Stanley