Lubuntu Software repository

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Feb 8 09:50:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:47:37AM -0500, Bill Stanley wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I recently installed Lubuntu 12.04 on an ancient (circa 1998)
> computer.  Pentium 2 with 384 Megs of RAM.  It seems to run
> reasonably well (actually better than expected) but there does seem
> to be few apps that I can use.  There are the apps that come with
> the installation but a look in the software repository shows only
> the apps that were pre-installed.  No new apps seem to be available.
>
>    I was hoping to install Firefox and particularly Thunderbird
> because all he uses the computer for is email, light duty web
> browsing and some word processing.  Is there a version of these
> softwares that I can use with Lubuntu?

You can install anything you want from the standard Ubuntu repositories,
it's just that Lubuntu hasn't installed a GUI program for adding
software.

However the command line utilities for adding software *will* be there,
so to install firefox you just use the command line:-

    sudo apt-get install firefox

If you want a GUI app for adding software then the one I know is
synaptic:-

    sudo apt-get install synaptic

--
Chris Green