Slow Unity

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 11:57:53 UTC 2013

On 31 December 2013 11:37, Pete Smout <smoutpete at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hope you all had a great festive period!
>
> I have retuned to my trusty old laptop today, and it seems slow, not in
> functionality but in the use of the dash (the menu / search that pops up
> when the <super> key is pressed). Symptoms are that when the key is pressed
> I get an empty dash, and about 10 -15 secs later it starts to be populated,
> files n folders first then apps. I know I've been away for a few days but
> this seems excessive and the biggest advantage of Unity for me is the
> ability to open up apps with the press of a few keys (i.e. super.sm.enter
> for smplayer).
>
> Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-lens-files/+bug/919801

If you delete the folder .local/share/zeitgeist it will probably
improve it.  I have to do this every couple of months.  You might then
have to reboot or at least logout.

As a matter of interest have you disabled searching out onto the
internet? System Settings > Security & Privacy > Search. If so then I
would be interested to know.  It seemed to me that disabling internet
search could slow down the search but I am not certain.

Colin