probe router wirelessly, double NAT

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 15:37:57 UTC 2013

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:36:29 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

>> It's not possible that the router gives out an address in the
>> 192.168.1.x range?  This device, the bridge I'm using, **always** gives
>> out an address in the 192.168.0.x range when connecting to it.
>
> The bridge is not giving out addresses at all, it is just passing your
> DHCP request across to the router and passing the result back to you.
> That is what a bridge as opposed to a gateway does.

I don't think this device is truly a bridge, though.

from the manual, where they describe the lights on the device:

LED Indicator State Description
1. Power LED On - The WLAN Broadband Router is powered on.
Off - The WLAN Broadband Router is powered off.
2. WLAN LED Flashing - WLAN is transmitting or receiving data.
Off - WLAN is off
3. WPS LED Flashing - The WPS feature is enables and in use.
Off - The WPS feature is not in use.
4. LAN LED Flashing - Data is transmitting or receiving on the LAN
interface.
On - Port linked.
Off – No link

They call it a router and adapter.  I think it takes the *place* of a
bridge, but is not a bridge as you describe.  The box says "adapter", for
instance, but talks about using it as a bridge.

For example, to configure the device:

...enter IP address 192.168.1.100...

Step 4: Open your web browser and enter
192.168.1.252. This will bring up the configuration
utility. Click “Site Survey” to scan for your wireless
network

and then to use it, well, I couldn't find the exact language, but it
always gives out an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range.

192.168.1.100 to configure
192.168.0.x  to use   --  always

So, the router it connects to might be using any IP address, but this
gizmo always gives the same range.

It's not really a bridge, I think it just mimics that functionality.

-Thufir