storage space

Pete Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 18:14:06 UTC 2013

@google hope you enjoyed reading this, It had nothing to do with you!
sent from my HTC.
On Dec 23, 2013 4:30 PM, "Preston Hagar" <prestonh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 4:08 AM, thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I know Ubuntu One offers some space, and http://rsyncpalace.com/ is 200GB
>> for $6/mo.
>>
>> That's the going price?  About 100GB.  Maybe I'll get a USB enclosure
>> instead.  Just wondering anyone knows of other rsync friendly sites for
>> home use.
>>

>> thanks,
>>
>> Thufir
>>

> What are you wanting the space for?
>
> For backup, general storage, expansion, etc?
>
> If for backup, an on-site USB enclosure has different plusses and minuses
than off-site.  Primarily, an on-site USB will have quicker backups and
restores and be generally easier to secure.  It is more vulnerable to
theft, fire/physical damage, and electrical surge since you are basically
putting all of your data in one physical location.

> For off-site, you might look at crashplan.com.  They are $6 a month for
unlimited backup, but it is intended as a backup service, not a "cloud
storage" service.  For cloud storage, Google drive is around $5 per month
for 100 GB, Amazon cloud drive is around $4.20 per month for 100 GB or
there are thousands of other providers small and large in various price
ranges.

> Preston

Hi,

copy.com offers 20gb free and has a handy little linux app which makes life
easy! Again more of a cloud than back-up, upload can be slow but great for
them photos and vids you just can't afford to loose!

Pete s