Imap trash settings

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 16:22:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Phil'll Fix It Computers <
phil at philfixit.info> wrote:

> From: thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com>
> Date: 22/12/2013 21:45 (GMT+10:00)
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Imap trash settings
>

> On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 10:35:53 +0000, thufir wrote:
>
> > I think you're asking what happens when a user trashes an e-mail from
> > their client?  AFAIK, it's removed immediately, that's the point of
> > IMAP.  That's provided that they have the client configured to do so, in
> > TB I believe there's a setting about that, what to do with deleted
> > e-mails.
>

> It's under Account Settings -> Server Settings
>
> "when I remove a message"
>
> x  move it to trash
>    just mark deleted
>    remove immediately
>

> so, in the default setting above, I don't think TB is configured to tell
> the IMAP server to remove it.  However, if the client has that box
> checked, then, yes, I think it happens right away.
>
> Welcome to the mailing list :)
>

> -Thufir
>

> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>
> If you do not empty your trash manually (which a lot of users wont do) how
> long until the server removes them or will they sit in trash forever. Is
> there a setting to say automatically remove messages from trash that have
> resided there for more than 30 days.

By default (and in most common configurations that I have seen), there is
nothing in Postfix or Dovecot that will auto delete any emails out of any
folders.  It is up to the user/client settings to clear out the trash
folders.

That said, if this is something you want, you could tackle it lots of ways.
 Probably the easiest would be a cron job that runs a find command similar
to this (untested, please test it a lot before trusting it):

find /home -type f -name "*/Maildir/.Trash/cur/*" -mtime +30 -delete

Basically, you are searching in this case /home (change that to be where
you keep your maildirs), for .Trash folders (again, change as needed) and
deleting out all files with a modification time greater than 30 days.  You
could put it in a cron job and have it run daily.

There may be other ways to tackle it as well, but something like this
should work.

Preston

sfd