having a problem with postgresql removing or installing.

jonathan candler Jonathancandler_msa at q.com
Fri Dec 13 13:26:33 UTC 2013

Hi all. Yesterday I have upgraded my bunt 13.10 server and everything  upgraded just fine accept for one thing. postgresql. Everything I do an upgrade or an install of something I get the following. "root at stuffage:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? yes
Setting up postgresql-9.1 (9.1.11-0ubuntu0.13.10) ...
 * Starting PostgreSQL 9.1 database server                                       * The PostgreSQL server failed to start. Please check the log output:
2013-12-13 05:53:29 MST FATAL:  private key file "server.key" has group or world access
2013-12-13 05:53:29 MST DETAIL:  File must be owned by the database user or root, must have no write permission for "group", and must have no permissions for "other".
                                                                         [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript postgresql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing postgresql-9.1 (--configure):
 postgresql-9.1
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)” I have set the file permissions and tried doing “apt-get purge postgresql" but nothing is resolved. I don’t know what is going on here but I don’t want to be getting that error every time I upgrade or install or remove software from my server. does anyone know how I could resolve this? thanks.

PS. I also did dpkg -r postgresql and all though it said that postgresql is fully removed, it’s not when I do “apt-get upgrade”.