Strange failure, probably video card

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 22:27:44 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>> Kernel is 2.8.0-31-generic SMP x86_64 (amd 4-core)
>>
>> I suppose you mean 3.8.0-31 ... that would be the lts-raring kernel of
>> Ubuntu 12.04 (although the latest lts-raring kernel is 3.8.0-34). Or are
>> you using Ubuntu 13.04?
>>
> Yes.  3.8.0-31.  I actually seem to have -19, -31, -32, -33, and -34 in /boot.
> I don't know why it's running -31, since I rebooted after the last upgrade.
> After I send this, I'll see if I can get grub to try -34.
>
>>> I don't think it's the driver because I have had this card for several
>>> years, but the log messages started just a week or so ago.
>>
>> Agreed, that looks suspicious, but it still might be triggered by some
>> software upgrade.
>>
>>> However, I'm not sure how to even tell what driver I'm using, and I
>>> fool around with many things on this machine -- I don't remember what
>>> i did about drivers.
>>
>> If you fool around ith many things, could it be that you were playing
>> with virtualization when the problem started? The AMD-Vi error message
>> seems to be related to virtualization / iommu (not that I know much
>> about it, but that's what I found when searching for the error message).
>>

> No.  I haven't fooled with virtualization in some years.  And not at all since I
> installed 64-bit from scratch.
>
>>> It may help to know that among the installed packages are
>>>   nvidia-304
>>>   xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
>>>   nvidia-settings-304
>>
>> Then you probably have the proprietary nvidia driver in use. You can
>> check it with the command
>>
>> lsmod|grep nvidia
>>
>> if it shows "nvidia" it is the proprietary driver, if it returns
>> nothing, it is the "nouveau" driver.
>
> It shows 'nvidia'
>

>> Actually I have the same video card and also the lts-raring kernel in
>> this machine. I think I had some problem with the nvidia-304 package and
>> therefore I installed the nvidia-304-updates package. I don't see your
>> error messages in the logs, but I don't have two monitors and I have an
>> Intel CPU.
>
> Changing again.  Settings-> Software&Updates -> Additional drivers
> from 313-update to 310-update.
>
> doing update-grub

Very odd.  I had to hand-edit the grub entry to get it to use 3.8.0-34.
I'm running it now, but it's still logging many many of those errors.

Software&Updates says I'm running 310-update.

Since nothing has budged.  Since 3.8.0-31 was installed 'way before the
trouble started (Sept 10 and the trouble started 2 days ago according to
the logs), I'm about to go buy a new card.  If nothing else, it will eliminate
another variable, and my current frustration level makes it worth the money.

--
Kevin O'Gorman