Computer is slowing down

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 21:32:14 UTC 2013

On 4 December 2013 09:54, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
> I have been using the same computer (Pentium 4 3.0GHz 1GB RAM (shared 875 MB
> for non-video use) 1.5GB swap, 13.10 xubuntu/xfce desktop) for several
> years, and its been working fine.  Click on an icon, the program executes
> right away, etc.
>
> In the last year, the system seems to have been slowing down.  It takes 2-3
> seconds from a click on an icon until the program starts to execute (not up
> and running).  I am wondering if xubuntu is getting  bigger and bigger,
> taking more ram (I assume that is the issue) without letting us know that
> requirements are changing.  I also am wondering if more non-essential
> programs are being added to the install that are running in ram, that are
> not necessarily needed.

I got a new laptop a year or so ago, and initially it went like the
proverbial bat out of hell.  Lately it seemed to have slowed down so
that it seemed not much faster than I remembered the old one.  Then I
powered up the old one and could not believe how slow it was.  The new
one has not slowed down, it is the fact that I have got used to it.  I
am not suggesting that your situation is necessarily the same, just
putting it forward for consideration.

Colin