Computer is slowing down

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sat Dec 7 07:54:42 UTC 2013

On 12/04/2013 01:54 AM, John R. Sowden wrote:
> I have been using the same computer (Pentium 4 3.0GHz 1GB RAM (shared
> 875 MB for non-video use) 1.5GB swap, 13.10 xubuntu/xfce desktop) for
> several years, and its been working fine.  Click on an icon, the
> program executes right away, etc.
>
> In the last year, the system seems to have been slowing down.  It
> takes 2-3 seconds from a click on an icon until the program starts to
> execute (not up and running).  I am wondering if xubuntu is getting
> bigger and bigger, taking more ram (I assume that is the issue)
> without letting us know that requirements are changing.  I also am
> wondering if more non-essential programs are being added to the
> install that are running in ram, that are not necessarily needed.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> John

Ok, lots of ideas, so after some checking, here goes:
question re: root dir: 19 directories, no files, 5 links to init.rd,
vmlinuz, vmlinuz.old, libnss.  these seem current
(latest version).
have I run top? no (thought that was sys monitor in console mode): 179
tasks running, most sleeping, 896MB ram, 179MB free.
which cpu: 32 bit pent 4
run "df -h": sda7 (mounted at root) 94% used 1.2GB free
could not find how to read SMART data (looked in gparted-no)
System Monitor: (with firefox running and thunderbird running)
cpu1 5%, cpu2 11% memory 55% flat line (no change), swap: 6% flat
line-no change
processed: running evolution (isn't that a mail program?-I don't use it).
why is 'pulse audio "h=very high priority?  all processes show 0% cpu
(doesn't seem right)
what I am questioning is: what's changed.  My use hasn't, so all I can
think of of code bloat, uh, I mean program upgrades.  Does ubuntu let us
know about additional ram requirements with new versions or other upgrades?

I think that is about it.  Thanks for all the input.

John