Ubuntu instability

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 15:19:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm afraid that the state of the art of blind accessibility on Linux
> is, in my personal experience, pretty poor.
>
> Mac OS X is significantly better, but Microsoft Office does not read
> well and for many people that is obviously a critical app. Unless or
> until Microsoft ups its game on the Mac front, sad to say, you are
> much better off with Windows.

I am a sighted person but I was disappointed to see this thread. It did
pique my curiosity, however -- Liam wrote Microsoft Office for Mac OS X
doesn't work, so I was curious about LibreOffice...

http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/accessibility/

If I understand what it's saying on that page, LibreOffice on OS X still
wouldn't be any better. They mention supporting gnopernicus (instead of
orca? presumably on Ubuntu). SO maybe gnopernicus would be something else
to try.

I have noticed myself that when I turn on the screen reader out of
curiosity, I end up having all sorts of stability and usability issues.
After reading this thread I better understand that it's not "just me." I
will try to help by filing bug reports from now on, but I have a learning
curve to know how the accessibility software SHOULD work.