Ubuntu instability

Grant Hardy granthardy at outlook.com
Sat Aug 31 19:04:21 UTC 2013

Tommy Trussell said: "I have noticed myself that when I turn on the screen
reader out of curiosity, I end up having all sorts of stability and
usability issues. After reading this thread I better understand that it's
not "just me." I will try to help by filing bug reports from now on, but I
have a learning curve to know how the accessibility software SHOULD work."

In terms of how a screen reader should "work", it's pretty subjective, just
as there's no one visual theme or help system that works for everyone.
Everyone has a different level of expertise in terms of how much information
they're comfortable hearing, but in general if a screen reader follows the
system focus and the caret, and provides commands for the user to read the
rest of the screen if they so choose, then your screen reader is on the
right track. However, with Orca the problem is really stability. I'm a power
computer user and can easily handle cases where my screen reader doesn't
speak exactly the information I'm expecting. I had no qualms about
navigating through Ubuntu with Orca. But the problem is that Orca (as well
as other apps) crash too frequently to really be reliable, or in Orca's case
it remains running but completely shuts up talking.

On a personal note, I'd love to see the accessibility of Ubuntu evolve even
more. To be honest it isn't stable enough now that I'd be comfortable using
it on a daily basis, but I was impressed with some of the neat things I saw.
One of the coolest things was being able to navigate the installer,
including repartitioning my hard drive and hearing the install progress,
with Orca. You cannot do this in Windows, so if a power user like myself
wants to repartition my hard drive or reinstall from scratch it's necessary
to come up with some alternative such as an unattended install, or wait for
an extra pair of eyes to be around. With Ubuntu, it all just works.

Grant