Probably stupid question, but

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Aug 28 01:10:45 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 27 August 2013 21:10:12 Peter Smout did opine:

> On 27/08/13 19:33, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On 08/27/2013 01:18 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> On Tuesday 27 August 2013 12:31:56 Liam Proven did opine:

> >> And then you have the nerve to upbraid me for building from a tarball
> >> or installing the vendors .bin?
> >
> > Gene, Liam gave you good advice, ~within the Ubuntu sphere of things~.
> > Of course, olde time Red Hat users expect to install exotic apps
> > straight from the vendor. But, not all distros keep lib locations and
> > versions the same. I'm running 13.04 and the nVidia driver, straight
> > from nVidia, for the first time ever just refused to work. The same
> > could easily happen with adobe. So, since Ubuntu is FAR more liberal
> > that Red Hat, you can easily install flash and nVidia drivers straight
> > from the repos, ~IF you enable them~, as was first pointed out. I used
> > the package manager to install my nVidia driver and nary a burp in the
> > barrel. I even have a repo that I use strictly for Java, which updates
> > itself routinely. I can't ask for better.
> >
> > The only time I would go outside the sphere of Ubuntu packages is if
> > the package clearly fails, or cannot be obtained any other way. Which
> > is rarely.
>
> Hi,
> Probably stupid question, but..... What repo?
> I have assumed medibuntu as that contains the non-free software, If so
> what is package name?
> I ask because a friend of mine is having flash issues ATM & I dont want
> to advise him to do it the way i have, (from adobe) if there is a better
> / safer way!
>

> Thanks (sheepishly)
>
> Pete S

Its not in medibuntu, its in partners.
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
To restrict ssh logins to certain commands, have a look at the ForceCommand
directive (see "man sshd_config").
         law-abiding citizens.