Probably stupid question, but

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 12:21:03 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 25 August 2013 07:40:17 Ali Linx (amjjawad) did opine:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > While I think about it, whats the max memory a P4 can handle?
> >
> > What is your CPU? P4 3.06GHz? P4 3.00 GHz?
> > Is it 32bit or 64bit?
>
> 64 bit refuses to install, and 2.4Ghz seems to be the claimed cpu speed.

It could be this:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27436/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-2_40-GHz-1M-Cache-533-MHz-FSB

Or

Could be this:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27438/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-2_40-GHz-512K-Cache-533-MHz-FSB

But the command that I gave you should show it all.

> > It was good memory that last time I checked it 2 years ago, been in a
> > > static bag since.
> >
> > If you manage to get the GRUB Menu, run the memory test over night and
> > check the result next morning.
>
> I let it run for 4 cycles yesterday, no errors.  On the OEM memory of 512M.
> >
> > Let me know if you need any further information :)
>
> Are you saying the Lubuntu is even better for low memory machines?

It is designed specially to breathe new life into old machines :)

Two years back, I have created something on Ubuntu Forums which is now
lives on the Wiki Area: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LubuntuLinks

It should have all the links related to Lubuntu :)

>  I am not at all fam with the LDXE environment.  If it can run digikam and
> gimp
> twould be a plus,

LXDE is the desktop environment which is very lightweight and simple and
very good option for old machines.

http://lxde.org/

> but she has no printer to print pix with. So I expect
> firefox & tbird will be the main apps, once she gets a net connection,
> which will probably be slow since the home itself is about as rural as can
> be for Lewis County WV.

Lubuntu is the official flavour of Ubuntu which is made for old machines:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu#Lubuntu_VS_Ubuntu

> This would be a learning box as she has never had a working windows
> machine  ever, but I'd druther not discourage her because of what it can't
> do.

3 years with Lubuntu, 2 years of these were very busy contributing to this
project as the Lead of Communications and Support and now, Team Leader of
Lubuntu Brainstorming Team. There is nothing Lubuntu can not do. Yes, some
stuff you need to do it manually but eventually, everything should work
just like on other official flavours (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc).

> Thanks Ali.
>
> Cheers, Gene

You are most welcome :)

--
Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."*
*Best Regards,