Probably stupid question, but

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 25 08:02:12 UTC 2013

On 25 August 2013 03:48, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> This particular command you note above hung on the MSTTFonts config, and
> nothing I could do would clear that EULA screen

You should have been able to tab to the OK option and hit enter.

> While I think about it, whats the max memory a P4 can handle?  It has 512
> megs in it  now and I have 2Gb of the same speed DDR 400 memory and its
> very unstable, won't live long enough to get memtest started.  It was good
> memory that last time I checked it 2 years ago, been in a static bag since.

I think you will find that 512MB is very tight, certainly with base
Ubuntu, though perhaps Xubuntu is ok with less.  Though that should
not stop you getting to memtest.  If you cannot reliably get the boot
screen and memtest then you have a hardware problem.  Once a system is
up and running then what appears as inconsistent operation can be due
to timing or other such problems, but if you do not get consistent
behaviour before even booting then there is a h/w issue.

Colin