Blank Updates status

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sat Aug 17 21:03:05 UTC 2013

On 08/17/2013 01:42 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 17 August 2013 21:31, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
>>> In what way did you inform Canonical about the problem that you expect a
>>> feedback from them? And why do you ask here? This is a list where Ubuntu
>>> users can get technical support from other Ubuntu users. Please don't
>>> expect Canonical to watch this list.
>>>
>>> BTW: There was a reply to your previous thread with a link to a bug
>>> report where a workaround was mentioned. Did that not work for you?
>>>

>>> Nils
>>>

>> Sounds like we're in the 'shooting the messenger' mode.
>>
>> 1a) I saw a message re: the bug.  I went where the link sent me.  I read
>> that 'yes, there is a problem', but I saw nothing else.
>
> Comment #3 of the bug report linked to previously [1] says that a
> workaround is to run
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> in a terminal.
>
> In fact
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> is probably better.  Even better is
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> which will not rely on Update Manager having already run "update"
> (which fetches the list of packages to be updated).
>
> Colin
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1211511

Thank You!  I just finished reading the blog.  The concept is
interesting and I like the 'automaticness' of analyzing the crashes, but
it is not all that clear to me.  Your solution is more to the point.  I
can run that daily from a desktop link while the 'bugs' are being worked
out.

again, thanks,

john