Blank Updates status

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 20:35:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM, John R. Sowden
<jsowden at americansentry.net>wrote:

> On 08/17/2013 11:58 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>
>> John R. Sowden wrote:
>>
>>> I am surprised that we are not hearing feedback re: the blank updates.
>>> Is canonical testing us to see if we are gullible enough to just
>>> download anything?  Is this a survey to test our level of concern re:
>>> security?
>>>
>> In what way did you inform Canonical about the problem that you expect a
>> feedback from them? And why do you ask here? This is a list where Ubuntu
>> users can get technical support from other Ubuntu users. Please don't
>> expect Canonical to watch this list.
>>
>> BTW: There was a reply to your previous thread with a link to a bug
>> report where a workaround was mentioned. Did that not work for you?
>>

>> Nils
>>

>>  Sounds like we're in the 'shooting the messenger' mode.
>
> 1a) I saw a message re: the bug.  I went where the link sent me.  I read
> that 'yes, there is a problem', but I saw nothing else.
>
> 1b) I expect feedback from the correct source (uk to me) to the users as
> to how this is being handled, and what we should be doing in the mean time.
>
> 2) I mention it here, because  'we' are users, and I consider this of
> interest and importance to the users (see above).
>
> 3) If this were a users list of my customers re: the service my company
> provides (no ad included), I would scan it often to make sure that their
> concerns are being addressed, but that is just my opinion re: my company.
>
> 4) Since I did not see a work around on the bug report, I did not execute
> it, and therefore would not know if it worked

I don't know what this bug is or where the other thread is.  However, in
case it's related to the new Phased Updates process, here's the
announcement blog post with procedure that can be followed for opting out
of the new program:

http://www.murraytwins.com/blog/?p=127

If you are not using 13.04, however, this information likely does not
apply.  I post it here in the hope that it's helpful.

--
Chris

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
Universe." -- Carl Sagan