Samba printing (status =held )

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Tue Aug 13 14:17:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have two computers,

1. A desktop to which my printer is attached.  The desktop computer is a
Linux machine and acts as a samba server.

2. A laptop which dual boots Windows 7 and Linux.

The problem is printing with the laptop.  The printer works correctly
when corrected directly to the laptop or the desktop so I am sure that
it is not a printer hardware problem.  When I try to print something on
the laptop using the samba network, the job goes to the desktop for
printing but nothing is printed.  When I view the printer queue, the
laptops print job is shown but its status is "held".  I tried everything
to get the print job to print but no success.   I'm sure I overlooked
something, but what is it?  Any suggestions?