Ubuntu on a tablet... Is there one?

pete smout psmouty at live.com
Tue Aug 13 09:58:34 UTC 2013

On 13/08/13 09:32, Ken Springer wrote:
> On 8/12/13 8:05 PM, Doug wrote:
>> On 08/12/2013 09:36 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
>>> I don't know if this is the right list for the question, so if this
>>> isn't the correct list, please point me to the correct list.  I'm using
>>> gmane.
>>>
>>> I found a reference on the web about a tablet that comes with Ubuntu
>>> installed.  But couldn't find any further information.
>>>
>>> Does this unit exist?  If so, how well does it do at reading all the
>>> various epub formats?
>>>
>>> I'm shopping for either a dedicated eReader or a tablet to use as an
>>> eReader.  I've no plans to replace my desktops with a tablet.  This is
>>> just for collecting various old books in one place for easy reading.
>>>
>>> I like the physical size of the iPad Mini, but the price is a bit high
>>> for my use, I think.  iPad sized units are physically larger than I
>>> would like.
>>>
>>> I'm not Linux knowledgeable, but would like to at least get familiar
>>> with it.  So, any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Ask any questions you wish.   :-)
>>>
>> It would seem to me that if all you want is to collect books to use
>> for reference or something like that, and you don't want a large tablet,
>> you don't really care what OS the thing uses, and therefore, why not
>> look at a low-end Kindle or a Nook? (I looked at Nook and Kindle, and I
>> do not like the Nook--too much reflection off the surface, and the
>> lighting is not as nice, so I bought a Kindle
>> Paper-White.)
>
> As soon as I read "Nook" in your post, I remembered my local library has
> them to check out.  I'll have to do that.  Indeed, I just added that to
> my to do list.
>
>> If I really need a portable computer, I have a nice
>> Dell laptop, made in about 2006, which I upgraded to 2GB ram and
>> 160GB SSD. Runs wireless, if there's a source. When Sandy took
>> out the power for 8 days here, I took it to the library, where
>> they still had power, and read all my accumulated email.) Has a
>> very nice KB for a laptop, and I plug in a trackball, and it's
>> almost as good as being home! Keep the tablet PCs, I say!
>
> Any laptop presents the main problem I'm trying to avoid, physical size.
>  So, for my traveling computer needs, I have a Win7 netbook.  But I find
> having to open the unit up just for reading is a major irritant for me.
> And, the orientation just doesn't "feel right".   LOL
>
> Collecting the books for reference is indeed the primary goal here.
> Secondary goals, 1) Learn a bit about Linux and 2) be able to surf just
> enough to find another book I find referenced when reading a book.  Then
> download it to the reader without the intermediate and time wasting
> steps of doing it on another computer.

Hi, and welcome to the list.

Not a Ubuntu thing, but I have a Kobo Glo which I found to be excellent
for my e-reading needs, at a reasonable price and it syncs with
(Calibre) on my Ubuntu machines. It uses the epub format although will
read PDF & .txt formats I have found the last 2 to be less than ideal on
the reader, but Calibre will convert any format to epub (or any other
for other e-readers) with no problems. (Get calibre from their site
www.calibre.com as the version in the repo's is out of date, and the
conversion is still a bit buggy!)

As for the Ubuntu tablet, from what I know, it was an idea put out a
couple of years ago that never quite made it! (I am sure someone will
correct me if I am mistaken) But you can install Ubuntu onto an existing
tablet relatively easily (a quick web search will provide plenty of
links on how to).

Hope this helps

Pete