why ubuntu LTS installs all in a single partition?

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 21:33:01 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 August 2013 00:20, Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > If you do not have a reasonable amount of swap in the system, any
> processes
> > that request more memory to be allocated than you have free *physically*
> > will not start, even if they do not need all the memory requested.  This
> > will leave RAM unused that could have been used for running that process.
> > Programs frequently request more memory than they actually need,
> > accommodating these requests by providing a larger amount of memory
> (through
> > virtual memory, even if you never intend the system to swap) allows you
> > run more software in the physical RAM you have available.
>
> Uh-huh.
>
> And tell me, do you have many multi-gigabyte processes running on your
> servers?
>
> I don't.

I'm disagreeing with you, Liam, I'm not insulting you.  And yes, I do have
many multi-gigabyte processes running on servers I administer at work.  The
machines in question have anywhere from 384-512 GB of RAM and run Oracle on
RHEL.  The databases themselves are terabytes in size.

--
Chris

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
Universe." -- Carl Sagan