Slow 12.04 on a Netbook with LVMs

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 07:29:41 UTC 2013

On 04/27/2013 01:02 AM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Interesting discussion, but it left me even more confused...
>
> I'll just ask again:
>
> I have an Asus EeePC 1005PG with the following specs:
>
> Intel Atom 450 CPU
> 10.1" LCD panel,
> Front Web Cam (I think it's 1.3MP)
> 2Gb RAM DDRII 667MHz
> 160Gb SATAII Hard Drive
>
> This netbook serves me as my work-on-the-road machine. I love it - it
> never gave me any grief and even has an internal 3G modem  that was
> a cinch to setup and saved me a few times.
>
> I want to encrypt may data, because it is my business stuff and I
> don't want praying eyes to get to it if it gets stolen or lost...
>
> I understood that it is a good idea to encrypt the system partition
> too, because it can contain data in caches or swap.
>
> It isn't that slow, but it takes it a long time to open applications
> (i.e:  about 30 seconds to start Google Chrome.
>
> I'd like to know what would be the best way to re-install Ubuntu
> 12.04.2 on that netbook - or in other words: What would you've done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Amichai.
Why don't you stick to stating the problem you want solved.
You proffer information which sounds like you are asking several
questions.

Usually, if you want a filesystem encrypted (especially the root filesystem)
then you have to select that at install time.
If you want to encrypt the /home partition, you can do it at install time
or you can do it later by first backing it up to some other media,
then running mkfs on the home partition using the right arguments
(assuming the
kernel has that type FS modules), and then mount the new encrypted home
and tar out the backup to it (will likely involve providing the
encryption key
either at mkfs time or at mount time). I have not done it before myself.

As far as how to install 12.04,
If I have nothing that I worry about losing (since /home is on another
partition),
I would simply go ahead and do a fresh install of 12.04 on the existing
system partition.
Just be sure you select an encrypted type of FS for it.