Slow 12.04 on a Netbook with LVMs

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Sat Apr 27 07:02:57 UTC 2013

Interesting discussion, but it left me even more confused...

I'll just ask again:

I have an Asus EeePC 1005PG with the following specs:

Intel Atom 450 CPU
10.1" LCD panel,
Front Web Cam (I think it's 1.3MP)
2Gb RAM DDRII 667MHz
160Gb SATAII Hard Drive

This netbook serves me as my work-on-the-road machine. I love it - it never
gave me any grief and even has an internal 3G modem  that was a cinch to
setup and saved me a few times.

I want to encrypt may data, because it is my business stuff and I don't
want praying eyes to get to it if it gets stolen or lost...

I understood that it is a good idea to encrypt the system partition too,
because it can contain data in caches or swap.

It isn't that slow, but it takes it a long time to open applications (i.e:
 about 30 seconds to start Google Chrome.

I'd like to know what would be the best way to re-install Ubuntu 12.04.2 on
that netbook - or in other words: What would you've done?

Thanks,

Amichai.