Ubuntu Migration Tool?

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Tue Apr 23 08:16:13 UTC 2013

On 04/22/2013 07:39 PM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a PC technician. I have a small lab where I fix computers. I also
> use Ubuntu (since version 5.06) on my private and Lab computers.
>
> I find a lot of customers that would enjoy Ubuntu too, and I know it
> will meet all their needs.
>
> I am having a lot of trouble trying to convince them to even give it a
> try! It is sooo frustrating!
>
> They prefer to continue suffer and spend money on fixing their computer
> every few months, as long as they don't have to get used to something new.
>
> 1) Any pointers / ideas on how to change that will be greatly appreciated.
> 2) I was thinking it would've been nice to have kind of a Migration Tool
> I can run on their Windows PC tat will run checks on their Hardware, and
> more importantly, on their Software and produce some kind of a nice
> table with green check marks (or red X's) that denotes compatibility to
> Ubuntu. This tool should give the FOSS equivalents to their installed
> apps. The tool will derive it's conclusions from an online database (or
> the last one updated from an online source in case the is no Internet
> connection at the time). So this database should be maintained by the
> Ubuntu community and will offer alternatives based on community votes
> (popularity).
>
> I am not a software developer, but I am illing to contribute with
> populating the DB, writing documentation and so on. Of course, this
> should be a Win32 program executable, preferably a stand alone
> (portable) app, not something that needs to be installed to add more
> clutter to a running Windows PC...
>
> What do'ya'all think?
>
> Amichai.

Hi Amichai, it is noble thoughts. However, I am not so sure one should
try too hard. In the end you may not get very happy users, and it will
make life harder for the community.
On the other hand, I believe it is a good idea to introduce some MS
users to Ubuntu or other Linux distributions. Those users would most
likely be those who are just simply surfing the Net, writing documents
and and other common tasks.
I have supplied a lot of elderly people with Ubuntu 10.04 and this is
fine, as they want consistency, simplicity and a robust system. Sadly
12.04 is a bit confusing, thus I have installed Gnome desktop for new
machines.
My main point is, that it mostly backlashes when you have people with
games, non supported printers, etc.
Even if you tell people that the for small money can buy a printer
driver, that will work with most printers, they hesitate, because they
already paid for MS and there was an MS driver with the printer - I have
been there.
Carl Friis-Hansen