Xubuntu and security

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sat Apr 13 22:53:41 UTC 2013

On 13/04/13 22:48, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:58:05 +0200, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>> I want to know if someone has a solution for "quirks" in xubuntu which
>> are rather annoying. I use xubuntu 12.04 as I only use LTS versions.
>>
>> 1. The most irritating one is that the Xfce main menu the programs
>> refuse to request for root permission (for those that require it) and
>> run as normal user (or don't run). Examples are synaptic (that wont
>> start from the menu and can only be started with  synaptic-pkexec and if
>> you want to do something useful you have to start it with sudo. Idem
>> with Update Manager.
>
> Something must have gone wrong, because I don't have any issues with those
> programs in Xubuntu 12.04. They work exactly the same as in Ubuntu.
>>
>> 2. Irritating is also that e.g. backupPC will not start before I
>> explicitly have opened the external device where the backup files reside
>> (although it is in the startup list).
>> In the same league is the fact that Power Manager doesn't start
>> automatically but must be explicitly started manually and only as simple
>> user and never ask if I want it to run as root (which was normal in
>> 10.04).
>
> I don't know why you'd want to run Power Manager in root, but again, on my
> computers the Power Manager works just fine.
>
> I know I'm not very helpful with these answers, but the least I could do
> was to point out that your problems are not designed that way.
>
>> 3. What is the very irritating reason to use fancy names instead of the
>> CLI commands in the menus. It is this hiding of of commands that is one
>> of the most irritating habits of Windows (and Mac a presume). And if the
>> powers that decide to mimic others why oh why don't they give a list
>> with translations so normal people can find the CLI commands that are
>> hidden.
>
> Normal people don't care about the CLI at all. And I think something like
> "File Manager" is much easier to understand for normal users than "Thunar"
> or "Nautilus".

Robert,
Thanks but that isn't much help. Moreover, a name, unrelated to the
actual program name needs a translation table e.g. for moments where the
link doesn't work and users need the CLI. I'm very much opposed to the
tendency of producers in general treating their customers as
12-year-olds (I will only point to the Internet and television
advertisements!!). At least clarify what you mean by "Byobu Window
manager" to give an example.
My 0,02€
Joep