VirtualBox, Win7, and iTunes

John D Lamb J.D.Lamb at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 11 19:01:30 UTC 2013

On 11/04/13 17:20, ssc1478 wrote:
> Is this a viable option?  I want to find out as much as I can before I
> experiment because I will have to buy the Win7 license.
>
> Any feedback, warnings, tips, etc will be greatly appreciated!

iTunes should work. I have it working with Windows XP in VirtualBox.

There is one tip I can offer. If you have to do anything that involves
rebooting an iPhone/iPod, its USB device will disappear from VirtualBox
exactly as if you had unplugged it. So, when the iPhone/IPod restarts,
go to VirtualBox > Devices > USB and check the box next to the iPhone/iPod.

This is actually the behaviour you should expect: VirtualBox does not
automatically reconnect known USB devices when it sees them. But it may
catch you by surprise, especially if iTunes offers to upgrade your firmware.

--
John D Lamb