VirtualBox, Win7, and iTunes

Hans Muecke ubuntu-ml01 at filderstadtweather.eu
Thu Apr 11 18:06:00 UTC 2013

Am 11.04.2013 11:20, schrieb ssc1478:

> My family has been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and its been great.  But my
> kids now have iPhones and are wanting to sync up with iTunes.
>
> I've tried a few times the iTunes/Wine option and have never been able
> to get it to work.  I don't want to go down that path.
>
> I am now thinking of installing VirtualBox on my son's Ubuntu laptop
> (12.04 lts), and then getting a copy of Win7 and installing it in the
> partition so that he will have access to iTunes.
>
> Is this a viable option?  I want to find out as much as I can before I
> experiment because I will have to buy the Win7 license.
>
> Any feedback, warnings, tips, etc will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Phil,

I am running a WIN7 Pro in a Vbox from a 12.04 LTS for exactly that reason.

In general it works ... it synchronizes both iPhone and iPad, but I
think it is crucial to have plenty of ram installed. I run it on a
4-core machine with 8 gig and it is fairly slow (I give the virtual
nachine 1 gig and 24 meg of graphics, due to stuff that's running on the
host)

--
Talk to you later ... Hans (127 to go)

Stuttgart-Echterdingen, Germany (EDDS) 48-41N 009-13E 391M
Apr 11, 2013 - 01:20 PM EDT / 2013.04.11 1720 UTC
Wind: from the S (180 degrees) at 6 MPH (5 KT):0
Visibility: greater than 7 mile(s):0
Sky conditions: mostly cloudy
Weather: light rain
Temperature: 55 F (13 C)
Dew Point: 50 F (10 C)
Relative Humidity: 81%
Pressure (altimeter): 29.62 in. Hg (1003 hPa)
ob: EDDS 111720Z 18005KT 9999 -RA FEW023 SCT054 BKN062 13/10 Q1003 TEMPO RA
cycle: 17