This does NOT go towards making a good impression :-(

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 1 14:11:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-01 20:28 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> On 2013-04-01 15:48 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

>>> I thought that I would install a copy of 12.04 LTS.
>>> Wot a waste of download quota and time as well as a perfectly good
>>> DVD :-( .

>> Just a couple of several reasons why I mostly only ever do HTTP installs.

> The files I downloaded were HTTP downloads and not FTP downloads.

For an HTTP installation one does not download a 4.4G DVD iso or even a 700M
CD iso before beginning installation. It requires prior downloading as little
as two files:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/NetbootInstallFromInternet

or at most a 30M CD iso

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/

cf. http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Network_installation

The key characteristic of HTTP installation is only files to initialize
installation and files to actually be installed ever get downloaded. If you
are only ever going to install a particular release once, it's a big
bandwidth saver.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/