This does NOT go towards making a good impression :-(

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 3 04:55:04 UTC 2013

On 02/04/13 01:11, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-04-01 20:28 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> On 2013-04-01 15:48 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin composed:

>>> Just a couple of several reasons why I mostly only ever do HTTP
>>> installs.
>
>> The files I downloaded were HTTP downloads and not FTP downloads.
>
> For an HTTP installation one does not download a 4.4G DVD iso or even
> a 700M CD iso before beginning installation. It requires prior
> downloading as little as two files:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/NetbootInstallFromInternet
>
> or at most a 30M CD iso
>
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/
>

> cf. http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Network_installation
>
> The key characteristic of HTTP installation is only files to
> initialize installation and files to actually be installed ever get
> downloaded. If you are only ever going to install a particular release
> once, it's a big bandwidth saver.

I see what you are getting at but I have always taken the position that
I want to have a hard copy of the OS I am going to install so that I
don't have to rely of the speed of the broadband when I am installing.
If it takes some hours to download the CD or the DVD then that's fine
because I always use a download protocol which will pick up from where a
download failed. But I am not prepared to agonise over how to continue
from a failed installation when it is half-way thru an installation such
as the one you are suggesting.

I also like to have the hard copy because I keep the CD/DVD for future
reference, and also use it to install the OS on my wife's computer - or
even send a copy to friends interstate or overseas (who happen to be
tied down with dial-up access to the 'net).

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 KDE 4.10.1 & kernel 3.8.5-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor