Unity!

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 00:08:32 UTC 2012

On 25 September 2012 22:19, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I wanted vertical panels in GNOME. This is easy in Windows and
>> works well in everything up to Windows 7, where it is a kludge but
>> still works.
>>
>> It never worked worth a damn in GNOME 2, very badly in KDE and poorly in XFCE.
>
> Hi Liam. One of the reasons that I stick with KDE is for the vertical
> panel, which never worked well for me in Gnome. I would love to see a
> screenshot of your Gnome vertical panel, but even more so, I would
> love to know what issues you had with a vertical panel in KDE. Back in
> KDE 4.2 / 4.3 I filed quite a few bugs on the KDE vertical panel and
> just about all of them have been addressed.

I have not tried KDE in over a year, so this might be dated, but a
rough description of the Windows config I sought to emulate is this:

* vertical panel on left edge of the screen
* set to a width approximately equal to the standard width of a
taskbar button when the panel is at the bottom of the screen
* above the app-switcher buttons, a shortcut area with /small icons/
arranged left-to-right in 2+ rows, /not/ huge ugly panel-width icons
* in the tray, similarly small icons, arranged left-to-right (or
R-to-L in languages that work that way, I guess!)

The main failure for KDE was resizing the panel and getting VAST UGLY
ICONS SCREAMING AT YOU as they had been resized to fit the width of
the panel.

Here's an example of how it should work:
http://www.edmundtse.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/taskbar.jpg

(from http://www.edmundtse.com/2007/11/26/on-the-usability-of-the-windows-taskbar/
- found via Google images)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884