Best Hardware Recommendation for Ubuntu Server 12.04

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Mon Sep 24 09:37:34 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I have a small LAN with a File Server running an old version of Linux
(which I did not install). The current server is very old and about to
"die"....

The server serves 4 WinXP machines and a network printer, and is used to
share a few document folders and an application data folder.

I want to provide an alternative to this server, with a look ahead, to last
a few years.  I was thinking of installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a Core i3
Intel, 2Gb RAM and 2x500 Gb HDDs set up as RAID1. A friend of mine
suggested replacing the CPU with an Intel Pentium G620 to save up ion cost.
Is the Core i3 an overkill?

Will appreciate your input on the best cost/productivity ratio for the
job...

Thanks!

  Amichai Rotman
 Penguin - FLOSS Computer Service and Technical Consulting
 +972-73-7962360 ||  +972-54-4605787