Xubuntu 12.04 - sound not working

Steven Grace sgrace at pobox.com
Sat Sep 22 01:07:55 UTC 2012

On 09/21/2012 08:21 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:
> On 09/20/2012 10:10 PM, Steven Grace wrote:
>
>> Have you checked "Sound Settings" (Volume Control), accessed by clicking
>> the speaker icon in the panel?
>
> That's the problem, I can't find anything related to the sound system. I
> always check if the sound has been somehow muted first.  The only thing
> I found was "Pulse audio sound volume" in the Multimedia menu. Other
> than that, there is nothing.  I tried playing around with that without
> any luck.

I'm almost certain that the original Xubuntu 12.04 installation includes
the Indicator Plugin in the panel. If Indicator Plugin isn't there you
can add it back.

It has icons of a speaker, an envelope, and a symbol indicating your
network connection type. I'm referring to the speaker icon in that group.

You can also run "Volume Control" from a terminal. Enter: pavucontrol

>> If you can't figure it out, tell us about your hardware configuration,
>> especially sound cards and video cards. Xubuntu may have picked the
>> wrong sound card as your default.
>
> I do not have a separate sound card, it's on the motherboard.  The specs
> say it is an integrated 7.1 channel, High Definition Audio with S/PDIF
> support.  The computer is a Dell Studio XPS.

That doesn't mean you don't have something else that's a "sound card."
My video card has HDMI, which includes audio and is treated as an
additional sound card. But in any case, the volume control program will
allow you to disable any sound cards you don't use.