Xubuntu 12.04 - sound not working

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Sat Sep 22 02:53:59 UTC 2012

On 09/21/2012 09:07 PM, Steven Grace wrote:
> On 09/21/2012 08:21 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> On 09/20/2012 10:10 PM, Steven Grace wrote:
>>
>>> Have you checked "Sound Settings" (Volume Control), accessed by clicking
>>> the speaker icon in the panel?
>>
>> That's the problem, I can't find anything related to the sound system. I
>> always check if the sound has been somehow muted first. The only thing
>> I found was "Pulse audio sound volume" in the Multimedia menu. Other
>> than that, there is nothing. I tried playing around with that without
>> any luck.
>
> I'm almost certain that the original Xubuntu 12.04 installation includes
> the Indicator Plugin in the panel. If Indicator Plugin isn't there you
> can add it back.
>
> It has icons of a speaker, an envelope, and a symbol indicating your
> network connection type. I'm referring to the speaker icon in that group.
>
> You can also run "Volume Control" from a terminal. Enter: pavucontrol

I have that program under multimedia / "pulse audio volume control" and
I ran that prior to asking the forum for help.  The problem is that
there are many options and I can't tell which is the right one.  As far
as I can tell, everything looks to be correct.  Then again, it's hard to
tell from this program.  On the Output devices tab it shows:

Port... HDMI / Display port it shows nothing on the drop down
         list for this item

PCM     is grey but also the check box for this item is enabled.

Front Left and Front Right are grey but the slider is at 100%

Built in Audio Analog stereo  .. there is a green check mark here.

Show:  All output devices is selected.  The other options are Hardware
output devices and Virtual output devices.

Like I said, the output of pavucontrol is hard to make sense of.

--

Bill Stanley