Ubuntu without pre-installed software?

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Wed Sep 19 14:39:57 UTC 2012

Tom H wrote:
> I'd like to see some hard data on that no just some claim based on the
> meme that Debian's more geeky/nerdy and therefore has a smaller
> footprint. I mostly install X-less boxes of both Ubuntu and Debian and
> there's basically no difference.

Yeah, we've many installs of each, and what difference there may be
doesn't appear to be worth considering. We use the same volume sizes
for each, for instance. OSs are so small that their relative size
isn't really worth considering.

> I suspect that this extends to WMs and DEs. You'll also see that I
> said "significantly" because I've  noticed that Ubuntu sometimes
> adds extra dependencies to packages (bizarrely IMO).

I've a Ubuntu PC and a Debian one; I don't notice much difference in,
well, anything between the two actually. Ubuntu used to be prettier,
but vanilla gnome3 is nice enough for me now.

> On the speed front, I'll take Ubuntu's upstart to Debian's sysvinit anyday!

I've found this fascination with fast boot times a bit of an oddity
for a while now - I go through a normal boot so rarely that I'd be
much happier with a faster resume from Hibernate, or a less buggy
netwok-manager or something than the shaving of another four seconds
off the time it takes to boot.

--
Avi