install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Sep 17 05:14:36 UTC 2012

lazer100 wrote:
> when I try
>
> df -h
>
> I get:

> /dev/sda3             9.7G  2.5G  6.8G  27% /
> tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /lib/init/rw
> varrun                2.0G   84K  2.0G   1% /var/run
> varlock               2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /var/lock
> udev                  2.0G  2.9M  2.0G   1% /dev
> tmpfs                 2.0G  104K  2.0G   1% /dev/shm
> lrm                   2.0G  2.4M  2.0G   1%
> /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/volatile
> /dev/sdb1             7.5G  5.8G  1.8G  78% /media/QUICK
> /dev/sda1              49G   43G  6.8G  87% /media/disk
>
> but its not showing the system drive which is about 500G, that must
> be /dev/sda

/dev/sda is the entire disk but the df command only shows mounted
partitions.

> and it doesnt show the 1 terabyte drive I want to zero, which is
> unformatted currently:

If it is unformatted it can't be mounted and therefore you can't see it
with the df command. Use

sudo fdisk -l

instead to list the wanted information for all your disks.

> unfortunately if I try tab completion with /dev/ ie to press tab
> after this, it lists various things but none of the drives,
>
> I think that is a defect with the implementation of tab completion,

IMHO the tab completion works quite well but in the /dev folder there
are not only disks listed but all devices known to the system, so tab
completion won't show only what you are looking for. You could try
/dev/sd and then tab because then you limit the selection to disks.

Nils