install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Sep 17 04:46:07 UTC 2012

lazer100 wrote:
> I am unable to install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10,

That's normal because 8.10 is an ancient version which is no longer
supported.

> this is what happens when I try the command
>
> $ sudo apt-get install gparted

> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main gparted 0.3.8-1ubuntu2
>   404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.184 80]

As your version is no longer supported, the repositories are no longer
available at the places known to your machine. I would suggest to
reinstall the current version 12.04. Upgrading would take too much time
because the supported path would be too many steps: 8.10 -> 9.04 -> 9.10
-> 10.04 -> 12.04.

However if you can't upgrade / reinstall for some reason, change your
/etc/apt/sources.list and use the server old-releases.ubuntu.com instead
of archive.ubuntu.com. Then the entries should look like this:

deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid main

Don't forget to use the command

sudo apt-get update

before you try again to install gparted.

Nils