Sibelius Scorch under Wine

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Sep 14 10:10:39 UTC 2012

On 10-09-12 16:19, Colin Law wrote:
> On 10 September 2012 14:00, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8 September 2012 22:14, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> A couple of years ago (well 6 actually) Alan Pope provided some
>>> instructions on getting Sibelius Scorch working under Wine [1] .
>>> Unfortunately following them now provides a system that though it
>>> basically works crashes repeatedly with "memory corruption in windows
>>> process heaps".   Does anyone have any more up to date experience with
>>> this?

Colin,
I use for several years XP as guest in VMware to run the competing music
notation software "Finale" and it works like a charm. I use it
practically daily and have no problems. Even playing the written score
works (not always completely correct). I can even record music using my
electronic piano, the midi is then displayed as a score.
Wine is - in my experience - able to do everything but I haven't tried
in years.
A Linux/ubuntu alternative is MuseScore which is usable but misses still
some of the options Finale delivers, for me the show-stopper is the
absence of what is called in Finale "Scroll view" where all staves are
displayed continuously scrolling on your screen (i.e. 2 for a single
piano score, 4 for 2 piano's and 21 for a Big band score).
My experience,
Joep