System bell ignoring preferences

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Sep 13 19:57:33 UTC 2012

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> After setting the beep preference on Kubuntu 11.10, the beep sound
> does not change:
>
> $ xset q | grep bell
>   bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
> $ beep
> $ sudo /usr/bin/xset b 10 400 10
> $ xset q | grep bell
>   bell percent:  10    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  10
> $ beep
> $
>
> The first and second beeps emitted sound the same. Is there something
> that I am missing?

You are using the default values of the beep program which should be the
same both times. If you want to test the system sound for the bell, use
the command

echo -e "\a"

And another thought: If you want to use the system sound on a virtual
console (Ctrl-Alt-F1...Ctrl-Alt-F6) the sound is not controlled by the
Kubuntu settings or xset. But I can't tell you how to change the pitch
of a virtual console.

Nils