System bell ignoring preferences

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:21:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> You are using the default values of the beep program which should be the
> same both times. If you want to test the system sound for the bell, use
> the command
>
> echo -e "\a"

Thanks. Unfortunately, that makes no sound at all! The pcspkr module is loaded:
$ lsmod | grep pcspkr
pcspkr                 12702  0

And I made sure that the bell is on:

$ xset b on

But still no sound! I also tried echo ^V^G but no bell either. Why
might that be?

> And another thought: If you want to use the system sound on a virtual
> console (Ctrl-Alt-F1...Ctrl-Alt-F6) the sound is not controlled by the
> Kubuntu settings or xset. But I can't tell you how to change the pitch
> of a virtual console.

Thanks, I don't need it in the virtual console.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com