desktop b0rken: was Re: X not working on precise

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 13 15:12:46 UTC 2012

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 15:12:51 +0100
> Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> No. I was running Ubuntu plus LXDE and most importantly, it was
>> configured to use lxdm and LXDE as my session type. The upgrade
>> appears to have completely ignored that configuration.
>>
> how exactly did you configure that ? theoretically lxdm should have
> created a ~/.dmrc file that contains your locale and session info when
> you selected your session in lxdm for th first time. this file is a
> standard among all linux DMs and shold be respected by all of them
> (read: even the switch to lightdm should have logged you into lxde if
> that file was existing), i think there are two bugs here:
>
> 1. lxdm not properly creating a ~/.dmrc file when you selected lxde as
> your session

OK. If I look at a backup from before the upgrade, there is a .dmrc file
last updated on 2012-05-30 that contains:

[Desktop]
Layout=gb       extd
Language=en_GB.UTF-8

Session=LXDE

If I look at the currently running system, there is a .dmrc file last
updated at 14:18 that says:

[Desktop]
Layout=gb       extd
Language=en_GB.UTF-8

Session=ubuntu

Note that this is after I have switched back to lxdm, rebooted, logged
into my lxde session and then logged out again.

So it looks to me (although I don't know what should be in a .dmrc file)
that lxde did create such a file properly, but it hasn't been upgraded
properly and may still be wrong?

> 2. lightdm not respecting the debconf default (lxdm) for the display
> manager (though that wouldnt have been harmful if ~/,dmrc existed) ...

Sorry, I don't know what a debconf default is.