Technical steps to debrand Ubuntu?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 12 23:27:21 UTC 2012

hi,
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:54:16 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> So it seemed to me that to replace all these meant essentially
> rebuilding the whole distro to remove all uses of the word "ubuntu"
> *ANYWHERE* as that is their trademark which they explicitly and
> specifically told my company that we could not use.

thats technically impossible, the word ubuntu is even in the version
numbers of packages ... the only thing you have to remove is the
trademarked stuff like logos etc and you cant use the name ubuntu
in/for your product .... i.e. if you would do a spanish distro with
enlightenment as the desktop based on ubuntu, you couldnt call it
"hispabuntu" without canonicals approval ...(similar to iceweasle vs
firefox)

there are plenty of derivative distros based on ubuntu ... most of them
just using archive.ubuntu.com or even the isos as a base

ciao
	oli