Technical steps to debrand Ubuntu?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:54:16 UTC 2012

On 12 September 2012 21:26, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:50:28 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, it is up to you, but I looked at the job, which would mean
>> modifying thousands of software packages and metapackages,
>
> in fact it is only a handfull of packages, mainly theme stuff like
> ubuntu-artwork and its deps, ubuntu-docs etc ...
>
> to roll your own distro on top of an ubuntu base you can use a PPA
> to hold your own theme and metapackages (unless you want to build arm
> or powerpc images)
>
> while its not super trivial it is also not rocket science ;)

OK, fair enough.

3 years ago, I looked for this info. I could not find a simple, clear
guide. Absent this, to use Ubuntu's repositories means using their
name; to use packages such as ubuntu-desktop or
ubuntu-restricted-extras means using their name.

So it seemed to me that to replace all these meant essentially
rebuilding the whole distro to remove all uses of the word "ubuntu"
*ANYWHERE* as that is their trademark which they explicitly and
specifically told my company that we could not use.

You are claiming differently, which is fine, but means that you have a
better answer to the OP's question than any I can offer. So, please
tell him what he must do or point him at a link where he can find this
out. I am very interested in this as well.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884