Technical steps to debrand Ubuntu?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 17:50:28 UTC 2012

On 12 September 2012 18:44,  <anotst01 at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 12 September 2012 18:25,  <anotst01 at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> > I want to comply with http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
>> >
>> > How can I remove all protected stuff such as Ubuntu logo, Ubuntu name?
>> >
>> > Please tell me the technical steps I have to do before I may
>> > redistribute Ubuntu software under a different name.
>>
>> What do you want to do with it?
>
> Make big changes to the default images. Exchanging default desktop.
> Maybe later, commercial use. Who knows.
>
> I don't want to have always some agreement or the trademarkpolicy in
> back of my mind.
>
> I want to remove all trademarked and copyrighted stuff. (Of course, the
> open source licenses will still be honored.)
>
> It must be somehow possible?

Well, it is up to you, but I looked at the job, which would mean
modifying thousands of software packages and metapackages, building
and testing new disk images, putting up and maintaining our own
repositories and so on - a very big job for a small company with
essentially 2 technical staff - and decided that it was far easier to
switch to a more cooperative distro. YMMV.

Mint worked for us, but there are many Ubuntu remixes out there;
perhaps one of them would be a better fit for you. Failing that, there
is of course Debian, which is what Ubuntu is based upon.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884